Doppler sonography in Bratislava
Ultrasound dopplerography (USDG) is a non-invasive, safe and informative method for examining blood vessels using ultrasonic waves. Doppler sonography has no age restrictions and can be performed even for young children. Diagnostic examination is carried out according to the doctor's prescription in order to establish or confirm a diagnosis, to monitor the effectiveness of the treatment carried out or for preventive purposes.
What is the difference between ultrasound and Doppler sonography?
Unlike traditional ultrasound examination (ultrasonograthy), Doppler sonography allows assessing the speed and direction of blood flow in the vessels. The ultrasound waves generated by the transducer are reflected off the surface of red blood cells - red blood cells moving through the arteries. The received signal is processed by the device and converted into an image on the monitor screen.
Ultrasound examination of blood vessels (Doppler sonography) allows real-time assessment of the condition of veins and arteries, revealing their obstruction due to thrombosis. USDG is also prescribed to find out the diameter of a blood vessel in case of suspicion of pathological narrowing of its lumen (stenosis) due to the deposition of cholesterol plaques.
What diseases can be detected using Doppler ultrasound?
With the help of Doppler examination, it is possible to identify diseases caused by impaired blood flow in the vessels:
- varicose veins of the legs;
- diabetic macroangiopathy;
- deep and superficial vein thrombosis;
- obliterating endarteritis of the legs;
- coronary heart disease, etc.
Indications for Doppler sonography
Indications for Doppler sonography are:
- fast fatigue when walking;
- swelling of the legs;
- frequent cramps of the calf muscles;
- pain, feeling of heaviness or tingling in the legs;
- visible veins under the skin;
- diabetes mellitus;
- long-term non-healing wounds on the skin of the legs;
- constantly cold hands or feet;
- recurring cases of dizziness or loss of consciousness;
- unreasonable headaches;
- overweight (obesity);
The following Doppler sonography is performed at the medical center “DoctorPRO Bratislava”:
- cervical arteries. Ultrasound diagnostics of the head and neck vessels allows to determine the cause of arterial hypertension development, to assess the quality of the blood supply to the brain. Doppler sonography of cervical arteries is recommended for suspected atherosclerosis, as well as after a stroke or myocardial infarction. Doppler sonography of carotid artery is indicated for frequent headaches, dizziness, tinnitus and periodic impairment of coordination. Doppler sonography of neck vessels after 45-50 years is recommended to be performed annually, especially with a long smoking experience (more than 15 years) and high blood pressure;
- cerebral veins. The examination is prescribed in case of neurological symptoms, such as impaired vision, speech, hearing, memory impairment and others. Doppler sonography of veins of the brain is also performed to assess the consequences of traumatic brain injury and to assess the effectiveness of the treatment;
- abdominal aorta. The examination allows assessing the degree of blood supply to all internal organs of the abdominal cavity. Indications for ultrasound diagnostics of abdominal aorta are high or low blood pressure, abdominal pain of unknown origin, chronic indigestion, abdominal trauma;
- veins and arteries of the upper and lower extremities. Doppler ultrasonography of the upper extremities is performed in the presence of such symptoms of circulatory disorders as numbness, swelling and constant coldness of the hands, painful lumps along the vein. Doppler sonography of the veins of the lower extremities is prescribed by phlebologists to diagnose varicose veins, assess the patency of the veins and the work of the venous valves. Doppler ultrasonography of the lower extremities is used to diagnose other dangerous venous diseases - thrombophlebitis and atherosclerosis.
You can do ultrasonogaphy of blood vessels in Bratislava at the medical center “DoctorPRO”. To make appointment for Doppler sonography, fill out the registration form on the website or call the specified phone number.